- About the College
- Departments & Offices
- Veterinary Hospitals
History of the Department
Compiled for the 40th Anniversary of its Founding by Dr. John A.E. Hubbell
The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at The Ohio State University was established in 1970 when the Departments of Veterinary Clinics, Veterinary Medicine, and Veterinary Surgery and Radiology merged. Dr. Vernon L. Tharp was named acting chair of the new department.
As stated in the Fall 1970 issue of the Speculum, a College publication:
The merger was the culmination of a full year’s study and negotiation, initiated by faculty members in the three departments involved. It was felt that the programs of the existing departments were interrelated; that the three departments competed for resources, including the use of clinical facilities; and that the majority of faculty members in the three departments were responsible to more than one department head.
…The combined department will ease the transition to the new curriculum, it will promote a balance between research and clinical services, which will be more attractive to scholars, and it will be accepted favorably by the Council on Education of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
In the reorganization, the chairman of the department of clinical sciences will be responsible for all clinical programs and resources. Faculty leadership in educational innovation will be encouraged, and implementation of interdisciplinary programs will be expedited.
Founding members of the Department included: Professors John Andreas, Richard Dennis, James Donham, Edward Donovan, Leroy Johnson, Richard Rudy, Vernon Tharp, Keith Wearly, and Robert Whiteus; Associate Professors Albert Gabel, Harrison Gardner, Bruce Hohn, Phillip Murdick, George Wilson, and Milton Wyman; and Assistant Professors James Burt, Lawrence Heider, Sharron Martin, Robert Prynn, and Richard Ray.
The establishment of the Department of Veterinary Clinic Sciences coincided with the the groundbreaking for the construction of the long-awaited Veterinary Medical Center at 1935 Coffey Road, which opened in 1973 and was dedicated in 1974.
See a list of Department Chairs and Directors, from 1970-2010.