NYC Veterinary Specialists offers externships of two weeks duration to fourth year veterinary students. As a comprehensive private specialty hospital, we offer rotations through the following specialities: Behavior, Critical Care, Dermatology, Emergency Services, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Surgery and Radiology. Individuals are paired with an attending clinician throughout the rotation as well as the intern on the service. We invite inquiries about our internship program at any time. The nature of involvement with cases is primarily an observational role although students are heavily involved in case management and discussion.
Associate Veterinarians and special expertise available
- 9 House DVM/VMD
- 1 Behavior Medicine DVM
- 2 Critical Care DVM/VMD
- 1 Dermatology DVM
- 8 Emergency Medicine DVM/VMD
- 3 Internal Medicine DVM
- 1 Neurology DVM
- 2 Oncology DVM/VMD
- 1 Ophthalmology DVM
- 1 Radiology DVM
- 3 Surgery DVM
- Journal club
- Continuing education opportunities
- General expectations include attendance at didactics (rounds, journal club and lectures). Rounds are held Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and begin promptly at 8 am.
- We invite you to attend continuing education opportunities hosted at our facility during your stay.
- The first day of your arrival begins with a tour of the facility and introduction to your senior clinician. Please arrive at 9 am on your first day and 8 am each day thereafter ( please note that if you are on ER srvices, arrangements regarding start times will vary).
- Appropriate attire includes scrubs or professional dress.
- Specific service expectations will be described once your externship schedule has been organized.
- Please note that we do not host externs during June 19-July 23 when we are transitioning our new interns into our hospital.
Students will spend 5 days per week with the specialty department of their choice.
New York City Veterinary Specialists
410 West 55th Street
New York, NY 10019
Signature On File: Timothy Reid, Practice Manager or Jean Ferreri, DVM, DACVIM