Mission and Goals
We exist to benefit society and enhance the health and well-being of animals, people, and the ecosystem through innovation in research, education, patient care, outreach, and service.
The College of Veterinary Medicine will be the leading national and global learning community for veterinary and comparative medicine where:
- We prepare students for careers of excellence;
- We promote interdisciplinary collaboration through partnerships with the agricultural and biomedical communities;
- Faculty and staff work collaboratively to study and solve problems of significance, create and share new knowledge, and advance both veterinary and human medicine;
- We deploy a team-based health care system as the model for tertiary care for animals;
- We collectively advance the understanding of the power of the human-animal relationship and its health benefits for people and animals alike; and,
- Alumni and trainees become the next generation of global leaders who also understand the importance of civic responsibility and the role of veterinarians in the community.
The goals of the College of Veterinary Medicine:
- Culture & Sustainability of Our People: Be the learning and working environment of choice within The Ohio State University and the veterinary community. This will be accomplished through a culture and organizational structure that values, supports and empowers our most important resource: our people.
- Advancing Education & Student Success: As part of a comprehensive health sciences university, deliver extraordinary and value-driven education that prepares veterinary professionals to lead the field, advance science and achieve personal fulfillment.
- Innovative & Impactful Research: Be a national and global leader in animal and human health as a top research-funded college of veterinary medicine.
- Referral Veterinary Medical Center of Choice: Be the model for excellence in academic veterinary medicine and the referral center of choice by delivering accessible, cutting-edge care in partnership with referring veterinarians and clients.
- Outreach & Community Engagement: Improve the health of animals and people while promoting positive human-animal interactions throughout our local community, Ohio and globally.
- Operational Excellence: Achieve financial sustainability for the college by focusing on creative solutions to funding challenges while enhancing student, faculty and staff outcomes.